Wednesday, October 03, 2007

A few thoughts on...

... on fetal movement
Pip is a very active kiddo. For the most part, it is endearing (we can feel the outline of her little legs) and comforting (activity is a good sign). But sometimes, it gets annoying. You know, like when the person in the airplane seat behind you keeps kicking you?

... on weight gain
For most of my life, I have been mildly to majorly annoyed by people who complain about the difficulty they have gaining weight. Athletes and super-skinny people. "Oh shut up," I would think. "You're just rubbing it in. Why don't you be grateful instead of complaining? I would LOVE to have that problem..."

But now, 34 weeks into a pregnancy where slow, consistent weight gain is supposed to be a good thing... I have spent a whopping 14 weeks with zero weight gain - 6 of those being the last 6 consecutive weeks. Pip, however, is gaining 1/2 lb a week. Which effectively means I am losing 1/2 lb a week. at least. Jeremy says that Pip is "eating me alive". My doctor has given me stern words and put me on milk-supplement shakes (yuck). And honestly - I'm eating as much as I possibly can. Heartburn-inducing amounts. Really! And for the first time in my life, I feel a real sympathy for athletes. I'm sorry I judged them so harshly.

... on Sleep
I like to sleep - but sleep is definitely harder these days. Still, I'll take what I can get :-)

... on facing labour
FAQ #1 at the moment is "are you excited?" Yes. FAQ #2 is "are you scared of labour?" No. It has been a very worshipful experience for me to be pregnant: I get to see and feel and experience up close how tremendously well designed we are: God has created our bodies most marvelously and it is just amazing to me that this little kiddo has formed a heart, lungs, feet, blood supply, personality etc ALL WITHOUT MY THOUGHT or conscious planning. The Great Designer is at work. And I reckon that if my body knows how to create, house, feed and develop this kid - then when the time comes, it will know how to get it out. Go with the flow...

... on things I'm learning
One last thought about being pregnant: it occurs to me that Pip is totally dependent on me for life at this point. I feed and protect her. I love her and have thoughts and dreams for her. I am so excited to meet her. And yet, although she is dependent on me, she is totally unconscious of her dependence. She still has yet to "meet me". How much more amazing it is to realise that we, in some similar way, are totally dependent on God at every moment, that he loves us and has great dreams for us - and yet, for much of our lives - we are unaware of our dependence. And how great His yearning when we finally realise that He's there!!


2 Comments:

Blogger Amazing Hypatia said...

Aww...Bronwyn...I love this blog. It's very touching for me to read your thoughts on Pip, your pregnancy, life, and God. How wonderful it is that God has made you to become a mother, so you can come to this realization. Ain't he an awesome creator of beings? =)

9:37 pm  
Blogger angelindisguise said...

Amen to that!
Seeing my boss pregnant these last few months was just as much of an eye-opener. Although she is not a Christian, the fact that she showed how much she lover her little boy even before birth was amazing to see.
God does provide for us in the same way, otherwise He would not have used that allegory ;)
Thanks for keeping us posted.

1:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker