Monday, March 05, 2007

Super Sushi

We belong to a cooking club. Whoever hosts for the month picks the date and the menu. This month, we hosted and we picked SUSHI! Shopping for it was an adventure in itself (although we finally found an authentic Japanese store in Sacramento... so authentic that it is called 'Oto's Japan Food', rather than Oto's Japanese Food!) We bought Nori by the ton, mirin, rice vinegar, roe, edamame, tempura, wasabi, ginger, mochi, sake... and much, much more! As for the fish: we had nearly 5 lbs of tuna (ahi, albacore and yellowfin), salmon, crab, lobster bits and shrimp....

Each of the 13 dinner guests got to roll their own rolls, and create their "fantasy roll"... and despite a minor burn and a cut from our oh-so-sharp knives - the evening went without a hitch. The salmon sashimi was also the best I have ever tasted! (Think "when Harry met Sally" quality...) Here's a little 'visual appetizer' to give you a taste:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks so fun!!!

Most of the foodstuffs can be also purchased from Kim's Mart in downtown Davis, and sashimi grade fish can come from Nugget, but the "Japan food" store probably had better prices! So if you have a hankering for sushi but don't want to drive as far...

10:10 am  
Blogger DaGumpf said...

I think I saw that movie with you! ;)

3:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bron,

Great to keep up to date with the lives of the Leas! And can I just say, that sushi looks fantastic! We looovvve our sushi, but in my present round-bellied condition, I have to stick to the vegetarian sushi - which is great too. But I do look forward to getting stuck into the fishy version in a few months from now!

Keep well and keep the blogs coming. Hope to see you in CT soon.

Hayley

9:36 am  
Blogger angelindisguise said...

yummy yummy yum!! wish I could have been there

2:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker