Saturday, February 24, 2007

Catching up...

It's been a while since I've posted anything (for those who check often, I apologise for the boredom...) But here are some snippets of what we've been up to:

Retreat in the snow! Last year this time we had a couple of feet of snow up in the mountains, enough to ride treacherous snowmobiles! This year, those last "9 miles" that should have taken an hour to cover on a snowcat, turned into a 3 hours trek on foot, through mud, on snowcat, and partially crammed onto the back of trucks... between 11pm and 2am! As one of my friends said: "It felt like being a refugee!" Still, it was great once we got there - with the highlight probably being our snow-sculpturing contest. Although over-flashed, here's a picture of "team yellow" with our snowman and our "summer in February" sculpture (It's the Southern Hemisphere... with continents carved out and all...)



On the home front, two small matters of "daily progress" are worth noting (no pun intended...) The first is that, after 25 years of reading bass and treble clef music, I am now having to learn to read "tenor clef" for the cello. I feel like I'm learning to walk again. Here's a picture of the tenor beastie...

And finally: I had to publish a picture of our pepperdew plant (pepperdews are sweet, piquante peppers cultivated ... and trademarked... in South Africa. I don't think it's entirely legal that we have grown one of these...) These plants have 'wow-ed' us. At first, we thought the little seeds would never germinate. In fact, the first lot didn't. The second lot took nearly 7 weeks to show first shoots. It then grew at a snail's pace... for about 10 months. At Christmas time, they stood about 25cm (about 10 inches) tall. But in the past 2 months, they have been growing BY THE DAY! This is a picture taken this morning. The plant nearly 5 feet tall!!

So here ends the latest edition of the life and times of the Leas. Wish you could see it all with your own eyes, rather than having to read about it....

3 Comments:

Blogger DaGumpf said...

Peppadew plant = good idea!

We have a flock of chilli plants, so adding a peppadew plant is a good next step. How did you grow it?

5:20 am  
Blogger Bronwyn said...

My Mom sent over some contraband seeds, and we stuck them in the ground and hoped for the best....

I have NO idea where she got the seeds... but I'm sure she'd tell you if you phoned her!

10:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not even heard of "tenor" clef! Good luck!

1:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker