Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Today I learned...


Today was my first full day of being a solo-parent (during office hours) of two kids. My Mom, aka SuperGranny, left yesterday (sniff, sniff), and it was with some trepidation that I faced the day.

Here are some things I learned today:

1) It is easier to handle two kids when you're wearing one of them. For future gymnastics lessons: goodbye portable car seat. Hello sling/baby carrier.

2) If you only have one hand free, the easiest way to remove a crust from your kids' sandwich is to eat it off yourself. Knives be darned.

3) My son can pee 4 (F-O-U-R!) times in the space of 3 minutes. Mental note to self: don't be so optimistic when changing diapers thinking "he must be done now", because he may not be. Wear protective gear. Look sharp. Keep your mouth closed.

And finally,

4) I can do this. There may be days of much crying (for T, C and me!)... but there will be days of calm, of getting things done, of singing songs, and living life. Thanks Mom for easing me into this with your weeks of slavish work and constant encouragement. Thanks B for bringing us dinner.

*big sigh*

I've heard the cliche, but today it had new meaning: Today was the first day of the rest of my life.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amazing Hypatia said...

I thought #2 was funny when I was reading, but once I reached #3, I laughed out loud! I can just picture you wiping some "sprays" off yourself. =)

8:25 pm  
Blogger Amazing Hypatia said...

P.S. I think you are doing just fine as a mom of TWO small children. =)

8:26 pm  
Blogger The Armstrong Brood said...

That picture is

PRICELESS.

It captures so much! They are absolutely precious.

Seems as though if you're braced for tears some days, you're more than ready for Life With Two. If anyone can do it, you can. Go, Bron, Go! :-)

9:16 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Yup, it's not just the tum that stretches to accommodate the littlies, it's your whole self. Though sometimes you have to choose who cries and who gets attented to. But it's lovely and worth it. (Most of the time!) They look so sweet. xxx

(P.S. The word verification word today is "nombut". Sounds interesting!)

5:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker