Friday, May 15, 2009

Yo-Yo Ma!

He walked onto the stage, holding his cello. He smiled, nodded to the audience, sat down... took a deep breath, closed his eyes, tilted his chin to the sky, and began to play....

Oh wow.
Oh wow.
Oh wow.

I cried when he walked on stage. I cried when I told Genna about it this morning. I'm teary writing this now. I was conscious of occasionally letting out a long-slow yoga-like breath... as if I'd been meditating, or holding my breath.

I looked at his fingers through the binoculars: his giant hands just looked like they were strumming the cello lightly - like one would drum your fingers on a table to pass the time. Effortless. Light. I had learned the minuet from Suite 1 when I was taking cello classes and it was the most challenging thing I had tried to apply my fingers too... but Ma took not a bit of strain. Just a finger-dusting of his cello. It didn't look strenuous at all... .and yet the sound of 3 cellos filled the hall. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. I think that was a life-dream I just had fulfilled :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger angelindisguise said...

*sigh* I wish I was there as well. He is the best.

4:12 am  
Blogger Corinne Hudson said...

got big tears reading your commentary about it, can just about imagine how powerful the experience must have been for you. xx

4:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker