4 years today
4 years ago, today, we touched down in San Francisco and I laid my eyes on California for the first time. I cried with excitement and anticipation as we came to a stop on the runway. Robin picked us up from the airport and drove us through to Davis - and I look around at the late-summer fields, burnt to a crisp by 2 months of blazing sun and thought... "Man! This place is UGLY!!! I thought California was supposed to be pretty..."
Hehehe. That brown, dead vista I first came across should, I was later informed, correctly be labeled "California gold". I'm still not convinced by the 'beauty' of dead grass, but in the past 4 years I have seen MANY beautiful things in California, and am a defender of its beauty.
So much has happened in the past 4 years! I've moved house, spent most of my married life, had a baby, started and finished a career in college ministry which lasted through an entire school "generation", made wonderful friends, read a ton of books, started blogging, learned the cello, traveled, learned a "double dictionary vocabulary" of US vs SA English words which I can switch up on command... whew!
And yet these four years have mostly been made up of "regular weeks" with little ups and downs. For example - in this past week I:
* watched the opening of the Olympics with our friends and neighbors and celebrated with Chinese food and frozen yoghurt decorated with 5 Olympic rings of toppings. The moving lights in the opening ceremony made me feel dizzy.
* went to see the new Batman movie (The Dark Knight, with a truly disturbing, brilliant, Heath Ledger as the Joker)
* reversed into a lamp post. Felt really stupid about that, but no harm done.
* In response to the question "how big is Teg?", we taught her to put her arms up in the air... "SOOOO big!" Soooo cute!
* Read 2 books (Jodi Picoult's "Change of Heart".. disappointing... and Wally Lamb's "She's Come Undone"... sad, insightful and strangely redemptive)
* Had my hair cut really short. Whew.
4 years made up of weeks like that explains why this feels like such a momentous day!
Hehehe. That brown, dead vista I first came across should, I was later informed, correctly be labeled "California gold". I'm still not convinced by the 'beauty' of dead grass, but in the past 4 years I have seen MANY beautiful things in California, and am a defender of its beauty.
So much has happened in the past 4 years! I've moved house, spent most of my married life, had a baby, started and finished a career in college ministry which lasted through an entire school "generation", made wonderful friends, read a ton of books, started blogging, learned the cello, traveled, learned a "double dictionary vocabulary" of US vs SA English words which I can switch up on command... whew!
And yet these four years have mostly been made up of "regular weeks" with little ups and downs. For example - in this past week I:
* watched the opening of the Olympics with our friends and neighbors and celebrated with Chinese food and frozen yoghurt decorated with 5 Olympic rings of toppings. The moving lights in the opening ceremony made me feel dizzy.
* went to see the new Batman movie (The Dark Knight, with a truly disturbing, brilliant, Heath Ledger as the Joker)
* reversed into a lamp post. Felt really stupid about that, but no harm done.
* In response to the question "how big is Teg?", we taught her to put her arms up in the air... "SOOOO big!" Soooo cute!
* Read 2 books (Jodi Picoult's "Change of Heart".. disappointing... and Wally Lamb's "She's Come Undone"... sad, insightful and strangely redemptive)
* Had my hair cut really short. Whew.
4 years made up of weeks like that explains why this feels like such a momentous day!

1 Comments:
Wow! I have a feeling you guys are leaving Davis soon???...(Sniff, sniff)
Post a Comment
<< Home