Thursday, August 16, 2007

Harry Potter

* BIG sigh*
I have FINALLY finished reading the great Harry Potter septology (what's the right word for a trilogy in seven parts?) I recall how I devoured the first three in rapid succession one weekend before my mid-year exams at seminary... and then 6 months later read the 4th, gasping out loud at places with shock and fear as the story unfolded. At the end of the 4th I swore I was "done" with Harry Potter: it was too dark, and "I wasn't having fun anymore".

My bibliophile buddy Nicolette convinced me to give the 5th one a try when it came out, which I enjoyed, and then when the 6th came out I thought "well, I'm nearly there. The story is almost done". I finished the 6th thinking "I can't wait to see how she finishes it".

Well done JK Rowling. I loved it. It was HARD WORK for me to pay attention to all the details in the book, but every chapter demanded that I keep reading to the next. She tied it all up so well and I'm impressed. Even though it deals with wizards and witches and all-things-spiritually-dark ... I still think it was great fiction and I loved reading it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amazing Hypatia said...

Again, you are not alone in picking up the Harry Potter fever! I wasn't a big fan of HP, and it wasn't until the latest movie came out that I decided to start reading the books. I figure that being a teacher, I need to keep up with what my students are reading.

I am currently on the 4th book, but I have already read most of the 7th book. =) So I know the ending, and I won't spoil it for others here.

I must say that JK Rowling is a wonderful storyteller. I get drawn in night after night, and I am thrilled that it's all done.

BTW, there is a HP site, by Scholastic the publisher. They even have a section devoted to glossary!!!

http://www.scholastic.com/harrypotter/home.asp

4:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker