Embracing the mini-van
In March, through an unexpected and providential turn of events, we got a mini-van. A pre-owned (a much better word than 'used', don't you think?) Honda Odyssey, and it has been our family chariot these past 9 months.
It really wasn't the car we wanted. It wasn't sporty, it wasn't adventurous. It could not fit in a compact car space, and it's hard to feel like you're going on a date in it. It ALWAYS feels parental to drive.
But, as I've just changed the windscreen wipers on our car and am reflecting on it, I thought I should write down for the record that I LOVE, LOVE our car, and am so, so thankful for it. I have embraced the mini-van, and thought I should write down just two of the reasons why.
1) My body likes it.
(I don't necessarily like its body, but my body likes it). As someone who leans in, lifts, loads, unloads, buckles and unbuckles people and parcels numerous times a day - I really appreciate how much less damage it does to my back than a sedan does. I can get my center of gravity OVER the kids as I lift them, instead of having to lift heavy weights (and yes, my kids count as VERY heavy weights) far away from my body. My sister is a physical therapist (physio, for the Saffers), and she approves this ad.
Also, when it rains, I can get into the car while buckling the kids, instead of having to lean in and get my butt completely wet. It's rainy season, and EVERY time it rains I am thankful again for our car!
2) My yes-reflex likes it.
I like to be hospitable. I like to be welcoming. I like to lend out our stuff. All of this is part of liking being able to bless people. I like to be able to say "Yes" to opportunities to include, help, welcome people. And the mini-van lets me say YES to so many things I'm delighted to say yes to. Yes, you can ride with us. Yes, I can take your kid. Yes, we can car pool to preschool. Yes, we can help you move that furniture. Yes, you can borrow our car while your parents are in town. Yes, let's talk about it while we drive together.
Yes. Yes. Yes. It's even in the name. Odyssey backwards is YESsydo. (which kind of sounds like yes I do, doesn't it?)
It really wasn't the car we wanted. It wasn't sporty, it wasn't adventurous. It could not fit in a compact car space, and it's hard to feel like you're going on a date in it. It ALWAYS feels parental to drive.
But, as I've just changed the windscreen wipers on our car and am reflecting on it, I thought I should write down for the record that I LOVE, LOVE our car, and am so, so thankful for it. I have embraced the mini-van, and thought I should write down just two of the reasons why.
1) My body likes it.
(I don't necessarily like its body, but my body likes it). As someone who leans in, lifts, loads, unloads, buckles and unbuckles people and parcels numerous times a day - I really appreciate how much less damage it does to my back than a sedan does. I can get my center of gravity OVER the kids as I lift them, instead of having to lift heavy weights (and yes, my kids count as VERY heavy weights) far away from my body. My sister is a physical therapist (physio, for the Saffers), and she approves this ad.
Also, when it rains, I can get into the car while buckling the kids, instead of having to lean in and get my butt completely wet. It's rainy season, and EVERY time it rains I am thankful again for our car!
2) My yes-reflex likes it.
I like to be hospitable. I like to be welcoming. I like to lend out our stuff. All of this is part of liking being able to bless people. I like to be able to say "Yes" to opportunities to include, help, welcome people. And the mini-van lets me say YES to so many things I'm delighted to say yes to. Yes, you can ride with us. Yes, I can take your kid. Yes, we can car pool to preschool. Yes, we can help you move that furniture. Yes, you can borrow our car while your parents are in town. Yes, let's talk about it while we drive together.
Yes. Yes. Yes. It's even in the name. Odyssey backwards is YESsydo. (which kind of sounds like yes I do, doesn't it?)

1 Comments:
Ah yes - I love our big car too, although it's more of a taxi than a mini van! Often I am strapping someone in, trying to be patient, and feeling very grateful that I am not bending down and bumping my head. Big car and enormous 13kg washing machine - things I am grateful for almost every day!
Post a Comment
<< Home